Aviva Blog Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » Pennsylvania » Scranton

The city of Scranton, Pennsylvania is the county seat of Lackwanna County. Its nickname is “The Electric City,” due to the fact that electric lights were installed in the Dickson Locomotive Works in 1880, followed six years later by America’s first electric streetcars. The small settlement named Slocum Hollow contained a sawmill, a blacksmith shop, and two small residences as well as a building known as the Slocum House, owned by Ebenezer Slocum and Benjamin, two brothers who has migrated from Wyoming in 1798. The brothers both died in 1832, and their property, which was sitting atop the largest anthracite coal deposit in the world, was left to a nephew, who sold it in 1840 to a civil engineer named William Henry and brothers Seldon and George Scranton, so that they could manufacture steel from the anthracite coal which was being mined there. They built their first blast furnace, which was the sixth blast furnace in operation in Pennsylvania, and the Lackawanna Steel Company was born. Scranton was incorporated as a borough in 1856 and as a city in 1866.

Regular Blogs