Aviva Blog Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » Oregon » Sisters

Sisters, Oregon is situated in Deschutes County. The city is in located in the eastern slopes of the Oregon Cascade Mountain Range, and in particular the three volcanic peaks of the Cascade Volcanic Arc known as the “Three Sisters.” In September of 1865, Camp Polk was established, along with eight other camps, during the tumultuous conflicts between the settlers in the territory and the Indians. The camp was meant to house soldiers tasked with protecting settlers from Indian attacks. Because there were no attacks, most of the soldiers were given orders to leave the camp within months, leaving a small group at the post until the camp was abandoned entirely in the Spring of 1866. In 1870, Samuel Hindeman homesteaded the abandoned camp and eventually established a store as well as the post office. In 1888, the post office was moved three miles south and was named Sisters, because of Three Sisters, which shows prominently from the location. Sisters was long a supply station for ranchers who passed through on their way to grazing pasture. Lumber soon took over as the local industry. Sisters was incorporated in 1946. In the early 1960s, the mills began to close, and in 1963, the last one closed, which triggered a population decrease; however, due to the mountains, Sisters became a tourist attraction known as the Gateway to the Cascades.

Regular Blogs