Aviva Blog Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » Ohio » Loveland

Loveland, Ohio, which is co-located in Clermont, Hamilton, and Warren Counties, was settled in 1795 by Colonel Thomas Paxton, a Revolutionary War veteran, who sold his farm in Kentucky and built himself a home in Loveland. In 1848, Colonel Paxton's son-in-law, William Ramsey, bought 189 acres at the junction of the Little Miami Railroad, which provided train service to Cincinnati from Xenia. The settlement became the village of Loveland in 1876 with around 800 residents. It was named in honor of James Loveland who ran the general store and post office. Having been a resort town, a place for the wealthy to summer, Loveland became the first town in Ohio to have a paper mill in 1810. The Hillsboro and Cincinnati Railroad and then the Marietta and Cincinnati, followed by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad which absorbed it, served the town throughout the mid-1800s. It was incorporated as a chartered city in 1961.

Regular Blogs