Aviva Blog Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » Ohio » Kent

Kent, Ohio is situated in Portage County. It was part of the Connecticut Western Reserve and was divided into survey townships. Town 3, Range 9 was bought by Connecticut merchant Aaron Olmsted, who named it Franklin Mills after his son. It was settled in 1805 by John Haymaker and his wife Sally and their children Eve, Catherine, and Jacob. Haymaker built a gristmill, using the Cuyahoga River for his water-powered mill. Franklin Mills was a stop along the Underground Railroad with locals working hard to help escaping slaves. As the importance of waterways waned and that of railroads grew, the town stayed afloat by a becoming the home of the Atlantic and Great Western Railroad maintenance shops, due to the influence of local businessman Marvin Kent. In 1864, the village was renamed in his honor, and in 1867, that name change became official. In 1910, Kent's son William donated the land upon which Kent State University sits, though at that time, it was named Kent State Normal School. The school was named in honor of William Kent, not the city. In 1929, it became Kent State College, and in 1935, Kent State University.

Regular Blogs