Aviva Blog Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » New Jersey » Paramus

The New Jersey borough of Paramus is located in Bergen County. The name is an anglicization of the Lenape word which translates to "land of the wild turkeys." There is a large metal statue of a wild turkey to this day at the Paramus Park Mall. The earliest recorded settlers were Jacob Banta, whose land patent was granted in 1686, Isaac Van Saun, whose patent was dated in 1695, and Albert Zabriskie, with a land patent dated in 1702. It slowly grew into a farming community. What is now Paramus Road was an Indian trail before their arrival, and it was a main route for both American and British armies during the Revolutionary War. General George Washington frequently headquartered in Paramus. The Library of Congress has thirty letters from General Washington which say "Headquarters Paramus" in the header. By 1945, Paramus had two mills, and in 1957 and 1958, New Jersey's first shopping centers, the Garden State Plaza and the Bergen Mall (now called the Bergen Town Center) began the community's shift to being a shopping mecca. Today, there are four major malls and three corporate parks.

Regular Blogs