Aviva Blog Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » New Hampshire » Wentworth

Wentworth, New Hampshire is a town in Grafton County. In 1766, Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth granted the land to John Page and 60 other men. The town was named after the governor himself. From the beginning, farmers cultivated the rich soil in the low-lying land, and with the water from the Baker River, the town of Wentworth became a lumber town with nine sawmills. In 1856, during a storm. the dams on both Upper and Lower Baker Ponds in Orford breached, allowing a wall of water into Pond Brook, and then on to the Baker River. The water sped with such force, it washed away the mills, houses, roads, sheds, and barns along the river in Wentworth. When the water subsided, the river had been widened by almost 90 feet.