Aviva Blog Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » New Hampshire » Tilton

Tilton, New Hampshire is part of Belknap County. It was the southern part of the town of Sanbornton originally, and was known as Sanbornton Bridge or Bridge Village. In the autumn of 1748, a group of sixty men submitted a petition to King George II, asking to be granted a tract of land in the area, but it turned out that the land was within the Masonian claim, and so the 60 men asked the Masonian Proprietors for the land they had in mine, and with the proviso that they name twenty more grantees, the land was given to them. The land which would become Sanbornton was granted on New Years Eve of 1748. The first settlement was established in 1762, and the first house was built by Sergeant John Sanborn in 1765, The first permanent sawmill, known as either Old Morrison or Darling Privilege, was built before January 5, 1775. The first store was founded in 1789.  The first petition to separate from Sanbornton was presented to the New Hampshire General Court in 1850. In 1860, the separation was presented in two special town meetings, but the attempt failed. In 11869, another town meeting was held for the same reason, but this one did not fail. The action succeeded on a vote of 150 to 105. Governor Onslow Stearns approved the separation on June 30, 1869. The town was named in honor of Nathaniel Tilton who established the Dexter Hotel, which was the first hotel in the area as well as an iron foundry. His grandson Charles Tilton, would become the wealthiest man in town and owner of textile mills.