Aviva Blog Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » New Hampshire » Sanbornton

Sanbornton, New Hampshire is in Belknap County. Due to its location at the fork of the Winnipesaukee and Pemigewasset Rivers, it was originally called Crotchtown. When the land was granted to John Sanborn, and it was incorporated in 1770 and populated largely by the Sanborns and the Leavitts, who were related to the Sanborns. During the French and Indian War, the constant Indian raids on the town kept the population down, and it wasn't until 1764 that a permanent settlement was established. In 1770, it was incorporated by Colonial Governor John Wentworth, who succeeded his uncle in that position.

Regular Blogs