Aviva Blog Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » New Hampshire » Plaistow

Plaistow, New Hampshire is situated in Rockingham County. What is now Plaistow was part of Haverhill, which was bought from the Pentucket Indians in 1642. It was unsettled due to the constant Indian attacks, which slowed down in the 1730s. During the decades-long boundary dispute between the Province of New Hampshire and the Province of Massachusetts Bay, residents of the disputed communities, including Plaistow, were double-taxed, paying them to both provinces. In 1741, King George II resolved the dispute, and as part of the resolution, Haverhill lost a substantial portion of its area, as the towns of Plaistow, Atkinson, Hampstead, and part of Salem were carved out of Haverhill and given to New Hampshire. In 1749, during the administration of Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, the town of Plaistow, which had about 60 families living there was established. In 1836, the B&M Railroad laid tracks from Haverhill to Plaistow, and a few years later, in 1858, passenger service began between Boston and Portland, Maine, which stopped in Plaistow five times a day. This caused a train depot to be built. This depot was where passengers awaited their trains, but it also contained the telegraph. During much of the 19th century, the town had three depots. Plaistow was largely a farming community until the early 20th century, when the Industrial Revolution took place.

Regular Blogs