Aviva Blog Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » New Hampshire » Newport

The town of Newport, New Hampshire is the county seat of Sullivan County. It was named in honor of Henry Newport, 3rd Earl of Bradford, who was a soldier and statesman. It was granted by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth in 1753 and was named in honor of George Grenville, who was the brother-in-law of William Pitt and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. Due to the French and Indian War, it was not settled until 1763  by settlers from North Killingworth, Connecticut. Work of settlers is always difficult, but these settlers were unhappy by the total lack of help from New Hampshire's state government and, along with 33 other towns along the Connecticut River, seceded from New Hampshire and joined Vermont. President Washington dissolved their union with Vermont in 1792, forcing the towns to rejoin New Hampshire. The town's first cotton mill was erected in 1813 by Colonel James Wolcott, and others established cabinet making and furniture making shops.  In 1871, the Sugar Railroad connected Newport to Bradford.

Regular Blogs