Aviva Blog Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » New Hampshire » Auburn

The town of Auburn, New Hampshire is in Rockingham County. As a fishing spot, it was settled by Native Americans in 1624 and named "Massabesic," which is also the name of Auburn's largest lake. In 1720, English settlers arrived, and they lied side-by-side with the Indias until 1754, when the French and Indian War began. During that war, the settlement was razed, The land was claimed by the British settlers in nearby Chester. What is currently named Auburn was called Chester Woods, but that was soon changed to Chester West Parish. Soon, it was renamed Long Meadow, and finally Auburn, the name it used when it became an independent town in June of 1845. The Concord and Portsmouth Railroad, which later became the Portsmouth Branch of the Boston & Maine Railroad, ran through the town, and at one time, there was a small passenger depot, but by 1905, the train simply ran through Auburn. The last freight train rolled through town in the early 1980s, and the track was abandoned in 1982. In 1983 and 1985, the tracks were torn up.

Regular Blogs