Aviva Blog Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » Nevada » Goodsprings

The community of Goodsprings, Nevada is situated in Clark County. It was named in honor of Joseph Good, a rancher and early settler in the foothills of the Spring Mountains. It was, in fact, first called Goods Springs, a tip of the hat to the rich natural underground spring which explains the thriving cottonwood trees in this desert. Josep Good discovered silver near the springs in 1861. Mining first began there when Mormons opened the lead mine at Potosi in 1856. Joseph Good opened his general store in 1861, though there was still no settlement in the area. In 1882, gold was discovered, and soon yet another vein of gold was found just outside of Goodsprings. This mine, the Keystone Mine, was even more rich than the first. A post office was established at the Keystone Mine in 1893, and a few stores and many mines were scattered about. Around that time, the miners took the mine over during a wage dispute. They held the mine for three month, at which time, enough money had been generated to pay their wages as well as pay for the local Indians who cut wood for the same mine. In 1897, the Keystone Mine post office closed, and in 1899, the man Joseph Good had old his store to, a man named Samuel Yount, established a new post office for the new settlement, which was called Goodsprings Township. Yount served as postmaster until 1914. By 1900, a small "tent village" was erected. In 1901, the Yellow Pine Mine was established, consolidating most of the local mining companies. Getting the ore out of the mines to be hauled by wagon to various points for shipping proved difficult, but in 1905, the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad laid tracks through the town of Jean, making the whole routine less difficult. Yellow Pine then increased production, and they built a narrow gage railroad. This spurred more population including George Arthur Fayle, an ore hauler from California. He and his wife Jean moved to adjacent Goodsprings Junction, which he renamed Jean in 1904. His uncle Samuel Yount, the postmaster and store owner, helped Fayle open a tent store for miners. He would later acquire the store, which he renamed the Yount and Fayle Store.  The town was platted in 1904, and most of the buildings were built during the railroad boom in 1910 and 1911. Goodsprings was right in the middle of Clark County's busiest and most productive mining districts where men mined gold, silver, copper, lead, and zinc. In 1912, George Fayle began to expand his business. In 1913, he built the Pioneer Saloon. The Goodsprings Elementary School was also built in 1913 and it remains the oldest school built as a school in Clark County. It is also the only school in the county still using a real school bell. The Pioneer Saloon, still operating in town is among the oldest saloons in Nevada having also been built in 1913. There are bullet holes on one side of the building, the result of the fight in the saloon on July 3, 1915 when a man was caught cheating at poker. The man, Paul Coski, was shot several times. The letter written by coroner W.H. Harkins, is hanging on the wall, and it details the events that night which culminated in the murder. The Pioneer Saloon is said to be haunted by the ghost of Mr. Coski. The saloon also has a memorial to Clark Gable and his wife Carole Lombard. Ms. Lombard died when the TWA plane in which she was a passenger crashed into Double Up Peak in the nearby mountains on her way back from a War Bond rally. She and her mother were killed instantly, along with Gable's press agent Otto Winkler, and fifteen soldiers. The saloon was the operation centers during the search.  In 1915, the town hit its peak population of 1,000. Fayle wanted to build a luxurious hotel, but he and his uncle disagreed. Yount insisted that the hotel would be a financial disaster. This disagreement was the end of their relationship, and Fayle build the hotel. The hotel, which cost $28,000 to build in 1916, had 20 rooms, electricity, hot and cold running water, steam heat, and a restaurant which was known for its fine dining. The grand opening included a ball. In the beginning, it was wildly successful.  People came to Goodsprings from all over just to stay at the Fayle Hotel. The local newspaper, the Goodsprings Gazette, published its first weekly issue on May 20 1918. The owner, Frank A. Doherty, died less than a year later, and his wife, Florence, kept it going, with 400 or so subscribers, until 1921. Meanwhile, George Fayle built the Fayle Department Store. He died in 1918, at the peak of the flu epidemic. The zinc and lead which were mined in Goodsprings was badly needed for the war effort. Buy After World War I, many families moved away due to the fact that mining had slowed down.  In 1920, only 400 people lived in Goodsprings. World War II brought another short boom, but that boom was short-lived and mining all but stopped after the war. The population of Goodsprings, mostly commuters to Las Vegas, remains around 230 or so. 

Regular Blogs